August 17, 2011

Erik Morales still loves boxing!


During an international media conference call today to promote his upcoming junior welterweight fight against top contender Lucas Matthysse, the always classy Erik Morales spoke about his love for the sport of boxing, and answered the question as to why he is still fighting at the age of 34 despite having achieved an already Hall of Fame worthy career.

Asked why he still fights on despite having lost 6 of his last 10 fights and what his motivation is for still fighting, Morales got a little feisty and responded by saying, "Tell me one fighter that's just rolled over me. With me being in my moment, with no issues and no problems, tell me, mention one name that you would say, 'OK, he's done.' One name that you can indicate that I'm done."

For the record, Manny Pacquiao "rolled over" Eric Morales in 2006 but there is certainly no shame in losing to the best fighter in the world.



So what motivates you Erik?

"The first part is because I know I can do it. The second part is because I love to do it. It's just something I love doing now, at this point in my career. It's the love of the sport, I just love boxing."

There appear to many options available for the winner in the wide open junior welterweight division.

If Morales wins, a rematch with Marcos Maidana might be in order, but if Robert Guerrero beats Marcos Maidana on August 27th, a fight against "The Ghost" could be in "El Terrible's" future.

For Matthysse, a possible rematch with Devon Alexander looms, or perhaps a fight against the winner of Guerrero-Maidana.

Or who knows, perhaps this fight will be so good and so close that a rematch against eachother is an option.

Erik Morales (51-7 w/ 35 KOs) and Lucas Matthysse (28-2 w/ 26 KOs) will do battle for the vacant WBC junior welterweight title on September 17th in Las Vegas, on the Floyd Mayweather-Victor Ortiz undercard.

The card, billed "Star Power", will air live on HBO PPV.

Hit play below to hear what "El Terrible" had to say!